Saturday 21st July
Highland Ordinariate Outing
to Our Lady and St Bean, Marydale
and Beauly Priory
Our Lady and St Bean’s Church, Marydale was completed, according to the date on the original drainpipes (still in place) in 1866. The architect was Joseph Hansom, who was also associated with the hansom cab. During the building works the priest, Father Colin Grant 'sold off his cows and some furniture, and all the farm things' to meet the cost of the buildings.
To get to Marydale, just after the Lovat Bridge on the A862 on the Beauly side, at the Y junction take the A831 Struy road all the way to Cannich. The last part of the road to Cannich is wide single track, but care still has to be taken. Turn left at the traffic lights in Cannich and find Our Lady and St Bean, Marydale, on the left in the middle of the village.
St Bean (also spelt Bain, Beathan, Baithene: pronounced Bãn) was the cousin of St Columba, succeeding him as Abbot of Iona. He is traditionally supposed to have evangelised Strathglass and gives his name to St. Bean’s spring, which is on the hillside across the road. The school, which opened a few years later, was very successful and numbers reduced by the clearances were boosted by Irish immigrants building the hydro-electric dams and the power station in Glen Cannich and Glen Affric.
Beauly Priory is one of three priories founded in Scotland in about 1230 for monks of the Valliscaulian order from Val-des-Choux ('Valley of the Cabbages') near Dijon in France. The name 'Beauly' comes from the French 'beau lieu' ('beautiful place') and is often said to have come from a comment made by Mary Queen of Scots during a visit in 1564, but the name actually dates back to the arrival of the French monks who set up the Priory in 1230.
Programme - Saturday 21st July 2018
10.30am Leave from Laurel Avenue, Inverness
(Those from the north should meet at Cannich)
11.30am Arrive at Our Lady and St Bean's Church, Marydale (in Cannich)
12 noon Ordinariate Mass
1pm Lunch at the Cnoc Hotel, Struy (pre-book with Fr Len)
3pm Visit to Beauly Priory and then return homes